Friday, May 20, 2011

Silly Thing #3

Silly Rules…because without order there’d be mayhem…ahem…

Silly Rule #1…If everyone laughs, then it wasn’t silly enough.  To be truly silly, you have to be able to make some people giggle and some people uncomfortable or unsure of whether they should be laughing at or with you.

Silly Rule #2…Go to the restroom BEFORE doing something silly to avoid tinklage. 

Silly Rule #3…Children are usually good silly judges.  The more ridiculous, the better. 

Silly Rule #4…Be yourself.  Silly can’t be forced.  Today I don’t feel well so my silly levels are low, that’s why I created silly rules today.  My favorite silly medium is ‘odd’.  Yours may be ‘cutesy’.  Just go with it.

Silly Rule #5…Always have a friend who “gets it” and several acquaintances that don’t.  It’s much more fun to laugh later with the friend over how uncomfortable it was when the others just stared at you or fake laughed to be polite.  This goes along with rule #1 but it still deserved it’s own number.

Silly Rule #6…Silly isn’t mean spirited.  Be nice.

Silly Rule #7…Make up rules.  My sister and I once sat at the piano while I played ‘Oh Holy Night’.  We sang it over and over.  Each time we sang, we would agree to take out a letter or invent a speech impediment and sing the whole song like that.  We built on each ridiculous imposition and just added more each time.  By the final round, the song was barely recognizable and we thought we were hilarious!  I realize most of you are probably just thinking “Nerds!”  Well, yeah.

Silly Rule #8…Picture imaginary scenes of things people say in your head a lot.  While they say it.  It's entertaining.  I can’t listen to anyone talk without picturing some kind of preposterous scene in my head.  Usually it is so far removed from what the person was actually talking about that I don’t repeat it.  I like to practice some restraint at times.

Silly Rule #8…9 is for squares.

Silly Rule #10…Don’t follow any of this.  Silly rules are stupid.  Pick your own.



2 comments: