Friday, May 13, 2011

Awareness Day!

I tried to post this yesterday but Blogger has been down for almost 2 days.  So...

May 12 is Fibromyalgia Awareness Day.  I was diagnosed a little over two years ago.  At that time I didn’t know much about it but over the past two years, I’ve met more and more people who have it, know someone who has it, or have heard about it.  I still struggle with acceptance.  Some days I am okay with it and other days I convince myself that I don’t have it and must have something else.  Every day I think I learn a little more about living with a chronic illness and still trying to lead a happy and fulfilled life. 

I have neglected my blog for a couple of months but felt it necessary to write a post for today.  I know I need to do my part to increase awareness about Fibro if I expect things to change.  “Invisible” illnesses are tough.  They are tough for the people who have them and feel miserable but have nothing tangible to show for their suffering.  They are tough for the doctors trying to diagnose and help patients to manage their symptoms.  They are tough for the researchers with little funding to search for a cure.  They are tough for the families and friends who love and support their loved one despite all odds.  They are tough for the pocket book with constant medical bills and treatments.  

Having said all that, I want to be true to myself and stick with my Three Positives for a Negative idea.  While Fibro can definitely be considered a negative, there are positive things that have come from having this illness.

1.  I’ve learned my limitations and learned how to ask for help.  Sure, I still push myself too far and pay the price sometimes so there’s a constant learning curve.  However, I have been a perfectionist and an overachiever my entire life.  It took getting sick to realize that I can’t do it all.  I can’t be perfect.  I can only do my best, treat others well, and love living my life.  Asking for help doesn’t make me weak, it’s making me stronger.

2.  I’ve recognized my dreams.  I have always been artistic but never really thought I could make art my life’s goals.  Getting sick made me realize that life is short and it’s not worth spending what little energy I have doing something I don’t love.  It’s been a lot of trial and error over the years and I’ve learned so many things but I know now that I’m meant to be a photographer and a writer.  I will live my dreams and my boys will see the possibility of achieving their dreams.

3.  My marriage is stronger than ever.  My husband is my rock and he never lets me down.  I’ve recognized that this illness affects his life too and I always keep that in mind.  We have each struggled emotionally with how this illness has shaped our life together and we’ve supported each other through it all.  God knew what He was doing bringing us together. 

Could I have learned these things without being sick?  Probably, but it may have taken a lot longer.  When you feel like your body is betraying you and you suddenly lose the life you once had, you have some choices to make.  Some people choose to throw in the towel and let the illness win.  Some people just exist peacefully and accept that life will just be ho-hum.  Some people fight against their body and stubbornly refuse to let the illness win, only to make themselves sicker.  I choose to listen to my body (push through when I can, rest when it’s necessary) and carve out a life that works for my family and me. 
Happiness can still exist with a chronic illness.  In fact, the good days make me even happier because I know what bad can really be.  On this day of awareness, learn more about fibromyalgia and support those who have it.  Even if you don’t understand it, please don’t judge, don’t tell them what you think you would do or put them down - just love, listen, and learn.  We can’t ask for anything more than that. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm excited for a new post from you. It was excellent as always! It's great that you can recognize the positives NOW and not way down the road. Get ur art ON, girlie! Yo awesome!

    ReplyDelete